Many Americans have decided to put a pause on any travel to the Dominican Republic following recent reports of tourist deaths in the country.
The U.S. Embassy announced on Wednesday that the FBI would be launching an investigation into the recent deaths of three American tourists at the same resort in La Romana, Dominican Republic. Authorities in DR have asked the FBI for help in investigating the mysterious deaths of 41-year-old Miranda Schaup-Werner, and couple Nathaniel Edward Holmes and Cynthia Ann Day who died over a five-day span while vacationing at the Bahia Principe resort last month.
“We ask everyone to be patient while these investigations run their course,” a statement from the embassy read, adding that toxicology results could take up to a month.
Schaup-Werner “died suddenly and inexplicably in her hotel room” on May 25 after having a drink from the minibar. Her husband, Daniel Werner, was present when she began feeling ill and collapsed. An autopsy concluded Schuap passed away of a “heart attack” after suffering respiratory failure and pulmonary edema, which is a buildup of fluid in the lungs.
Engaged Maryland couple 63-year-old Edward Nathaniel Holmes, and 49-year-old Cynthia Day, 49, died five days later after they checked into the nearby Grand Bahia Principe La Romana resort the same day of Schaup’s death. On May 30, the hopeful newlyweds were found dead in their hotel room. Autopsy reports said the couple had suffered respiratory failure and pulmonary edema.
Earlier this week the U.S. State Department confirmed that the death toll has risen after a fourth American tourist died while vacationing at one of the country’s luxurious, all-inclusive resorts. 67-year-old Robert Bell Wallace died just over a month before the three other deaths on April 14. Wallace’s niece, Chloe Arnold, told Fox News that her uncle became ill after drinking scotch from the mini bar in his room at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana.
According to iwaspoisoned.com, nearly 70 travelers have reported falling sick during their visit to DR since March. According to the New York Post, 45 of the travelers said they were guests at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Punta Cana. Patrick Quade, founder of iwaspoisoned.com, told the outlet that,
“People report food-borne illnesses but it’s possible that they experienced some other type of contamination.”
The State Department issued a statement earlier this month, saying it was “actively monitoring” the country’s investigation into the “tragic” tourist deaths, but have so far found no evidence that the incidents are connected.
Press play below for more on this story.